Super Mario Bros. (1993)
A Bright, Clamorous Extravaganza!
- Interesting "What if" scenario for a plot basis.
- Decent special effects.
- SNES blaster guns, corny game-related tie-ins.
- Relatively happy mood despite the gloomy setting (I mean, really, you should be getting depressed from the setting, not having fun).
- Really, so far a stretch from Mario Bros that they would have been better of not being associated with it.
- Acting not always the greatest.
If this movie had no ties to the actual Super Mario Brothers games, then it probably would have been far better received. It fits cozily amongst many B-movies (even though it wasn't really meant to) with plenty of camp, bad puns, and moments of "acting" going on. That being said, there are throw-outs and references to the games (bob-ombs, Character names, end-movie outfits) as well as Nintendo merch (SNES blaster gun) and could be considered a noble attempt to try and make something Mario related - however this is met slightly offbeat by the inclusion of things that aren't all that kid-centered (multiple romances, some dialogue lines), not that that is something uncommon in modern times. For the vast majority, it's skippable - but B fans might find it to be a pretty laughable gem.