The Ghastly Love of Johnny X (2012)
Beware the Juvenile Delinquents from Outer Space!
- Retro sci-fi drive-in kind of feel.
- The tagline sums it up, really. No worries about false advertising.
- " *-o-vision!"
- Really hits the old school 50's stereotypes something fierce.
- Not too much singing.
- Kind of like a B-reel musical really.
- Really hit's the 50's stereotypes something fierce.
- For a musical thats two hours long, very limited singing.
- Rather raunchy (aka "I can tell this was made in recent years") at points.
- Acting not it's strong point. (See + : "...B-reel musical...")
Although I enjoy this movie for it's campy, retro science fiction feel that lets it easily be played at a drive in kind of place, I can't exactly go and recommend this to a whole plethora of people. I mean, if you like B movies and you like musical-lites, then it might be up your alley but the the blending of science fiction, 50's stereotype characters, and songs that aren't the most catchy isn't going to land it a huge fanbase even if I did tell you all to go and watch it. In a comparison, it's the opposite of Sgt. Pepper as far as musicals go (more talking/ "acting" than singing), but I think it'd be best pitched as just a campy modern made retro scifi comedy. Feel free to go and watch it if you like what the trailer pitches, by all means I didn't not enjoy it, but I can't think of a very large number of people I personally know that would enjoy this one (although I do know some).