The Pirates of Penzance (1983)
Broadway's smash hit is now the movie!
- In color (contrary to the only actual trailer I found for it).
- I am the very model of a modern major general - Mass Effect fans may enjoy seeing where the Salarian version came from.
- Incredibly goofy (and you thought Jack Sparrow was a terrible pirate).
- Some of the facial expressions presented by the characters are priceless.
- Doesn't nearly seem as long as it is, due to the powers of FUN.
- Some of the songs really only consist of about three different sentences repeated ad nauseum. I mean, it's not exactly unheard of for musicals, but with the wit in this one it seem's a disservice to itself when it happens.
Worth checking out. I wouldn't go as far as to say it's going to win over any haters of musical or anything like that, but it's predominantly goofy fun with musical acts overlaid. The pirates might not be good at stealing, but their performance is pure gold. The fact that it never takes itself too seriously keeps it feeling up on it's feet, making for an enjoyable ride even with repetitive song lines or reoccuring tunes.