Message from Space (1978)
Where Fantasies are Real & Reality is Fantastic.
- Miniature mayhem!
- Pretty upbeat characters.
- Don Quixote references.
- Not as much of a Star Wars rip-off as every review would have you believe.
- Final miniature doom is probably the most glorious fireball I've ever seen in a movie to date, and I've seen a lot of movies.
- Some characters are in fact so energetic it's annoying.
- Some of the effects show their age.
- Peace-loving planet getting wiped out by evil bad guys certainly would leave you to believe it's trying to be Star Wars.
If you like science fiction movies, particularly older ones (effects wise) then you owe it to yourself to check this out. I was led to believe by the description that I'd be watching something that was basically just a cash-in on Star Wars, but what I ended up with felt a lot more like Seven Samurai in space than it did Star Wars - even if there are some similarities that could be found. Characters aren't exactly anything too out of this world, but certainly colorful enough to make the movie fun through it's run time.