Rock & Rule (1983)
The Beauty... The Beast... The Beat!
- Art style very reminiscent of something - but as of the time writing this I still can't recall just what movie/show it is.
- Old school animating, where what's "interactive" is visibly different from the painting-like 'sets'
- Good tunes.
- Main villain looks like Mick Jagger (Rolling Stones) and Steven Tyler (Aerosmith) had a baby goof-troop.
- Main villain that is actually an evil, underhanded monster of a person - as opposed to some of these more human villains of modern times.
- Not exactly impressing with selected tunes.
- "Summoning an evil demon to be super powerful rock god" not exactly unheard of (although totally more commonly held against metal over general rock).
- '83 PG wasn't as hidden about it's innuendo implications.
- Ending that isn't surprising anyone.
- Apparently at least two different versions that may or may not include different music and a more/less gruesome ending.
If you're a fan of the old school of animation, you may wanna check it out - it's by no means bad. I wouldn't - however - go rushing out to rent it or buy it or anything otherwise, as it's also nothing amazing. Certainly a case of "if you like the trailer, you'll like the movie" going on here. Straight forward plot, alright soundtrack, decent animation quality - it's not a let down as long as you just go in to enjoy it at face value.