Space Pirate Captain Harlock (2013)
Is he an enemy of the state... or its last hope?
- Looks great.
- Cool outfits.
- Plot twist reveals, and some plot that isn't the ordinary affair.
- Battle scenes pretty energetic.
- Decent assortment of character types.
- Harlock's ship is a sight to behold.
- Can feel a bit slow sometimes, as the movie certainly isn't all about the action - in fact, a portion of it feels a lot like it's spent trying to explain things to you.
- Some of the plot isn't very original at all.
- Netflix only offers Japanese and Spanish audio (I mean, cool for people who speak spanish - but that just makes two languages I can't understand), so reading happened.
- Although he drives the plot, Harlock himself isn't so much the main character.
Rather reminiscent of Advent Children in animation quality / looks, people look for a normal tale of pirates except in space might find this a little outside of what they were looking for. If you want some cool space fights, a plot that pretty much explains itself (if you pay attention), and some brooding Captain Harlock, king of the space pirates, then it'll be right up your alley. I would recommend checking it out (especially if you have a netflix account) just for the aesthetic value alone, as it is very well done, but I also enjoyed the plot elements towards the end of the flick.