Terror just beneath the surface
- Better romance story in the first 3 minutes of the movies between two whales than 90% of "human" based love flicks can accomplish in full movies.
- Orca - the whale version of Frank Castle.
- Beautiful underwater shots.
- Irish accent.
- Morals and relatively plausible moral dilemma.
- No "From the depths of Hell, I stab at thee!"
- You bastards killed Kenny!
- Orca facts - I'm pretty sure not all of those are 100% accurate. I could be wrong here, but call it a hunch.
- A lot of orca screen time leads a bit against being scary (as demonstrated by Jaws).
A fun alternative to Jaws, where the "mindless killing" of the humans is actually given a clear and defined reason for our aquatic lead. You can find yourself torn between whose in the right through a good portion of the movie, blaming both sides for the stupid things they do, but just what they will do next does lead to a low grade of terror. Far less frightening than Jaws ever was, it trades some of it's horror levels in for moral thinking and dilemmas - therefore making it more of a "thinking man's Jaws," - so if it sound's like something you wanna watch, you should totally check it out. Without a doubt, it shouldn't feel as though it's been time wasted watching it - although I'm sure a good deal of us would rather watch the original Jaws that started the aquatic scare craze anyways.