You're Next (2011)
The door may be locked, but it won't protect you.
- Strong female lead (like, Sarah Connor T2 strong).
- Killers with proper grammar (much better than I).
- That synth song.
- Pretty well shot (cinematography wise).
- Gives you time enough to judge on-screen family, without boring you through hours of backstory.
- Handful of twists.
- Not shy about being violent, but not so absurdly so that it's torture-porn tiers of excess.
- Acting can be pretty wishy-washy. Sometimes its great, other times its not, but most the time it's passably enjoyable.
- Some of the twists are rather foreseeable.
- Super-strong lead lady kinda helps break some of the tension present, causing it to feel a bit less scary than it might have otherwise.
Pretty good use of tension makes for a decent scary movie, although at times this thriller comes off feeling almost like an action survival flick than a horror movie. Some of the characters come off far stronger than others, and the acting can gravitate from stellar to leaving you wonder. Overall worth a watch for genre fans, or for folks looking for that strong female lead (a lot of movies try to have one and end up failing for one reason or another) that actually works well. Others looking for a thrill may want to rent it before adding it entirely to their collection, but it's a pretty decently put together movie.