Badges of Fury (2013)
Two cops. One killer. No limits.
- Kung fu (realistic in some parts, mostly more fantasy kung fu).
- Comedy (in the vein of Beverly Hills Cop, also slightly reminiscent of Kung Fu Hustle with the one bumbling cop).
- Decent effects work.
- Not a lot of talking during action scenes, allows focus over reading.
- Curses! Chases! Kilts?
- Men in Black referance/pun.
- Reading diminishes some of the comedic value.
- Chinese can be delivered faster than I can read the subtitles at times.
- Will probably confuse people with it's interplay between semi-realistic and fantasy type elements (that switch to Kung Fu Hustle mode can happen without warning).
I enjoyed it. Would certainly probably enjoy it more with a dubbing of some sort - not that I'm against reading, but I know for a fact I missed half a line somewhere due to the quick talking. I've read some complaints about terrible acting as well, but I wouldn't be surprised if those complaining about it also complain about the terrible acting when intentionally watching a B-movie - that is to say I think the level of acting that took place in this movie is very much appropriate for the mood/setting they wanted to make. Enjoyable romp if you don't mind reading and you like some Rush Hour mixed with your kung fu.