Turbo Kid (2015)
Coming Soon To a Wasteland Near You!
- "In the post apocalyptic future of 19XX" setting.
- Amusingly more cute than I originally imagined.
- Mad Max vibes.
- Soundtrack. That synth-filled fun that the past always predicted the future would be.
- Over-the-top effects - so over the top it's at times flat out goofy.
- Some moments are actually kind of serious, albeit your mind would never let you think it with how much fun it's having watching.
- Limited theater releases means the only way for most to watch it before it hits normal retail channels is through VOD like Vimeo.
- Some people are gonna find the spirit of the movie a little too goofy I'd imagine, or moments particularly too over the top (characters as well).
This movie was everything I wanted it to be back when I originally heard of it what feels so long ago. In fact, it actually ended up exceeding my expectations. It provides a wonderfully amusing time that I'm thankful I got to sit through. If you watched a movie like Kung Fury and enjoyed the feel of it (as in, that old school super-future feel one can find in games such as Far Cry: Blood Dragon) than this one should be easily enjoyed. It's got less swearing than you see on some television shows, but for those squeamish around over-the-top violence (that's normally not at all realistically done like one would see in a zombie flick) that one might find in some of the cheesier old flicks then it might not be for them. All in all, I'd say that yes, I will probably try and get plenty of people to come over and watch the movie - however, the delivery vehicle of Vimeo I do have some other issues with - Particularly when it comes to streaming (which crashed an hour into the movie and made me have to reload the page to finish watching). That being said, when it finally hits the Netflix/redbox/retail sale phase, I'd totally recommend a rental at the least.