White God (2014)
The unwanted will have their day.
- Interesting story telling method.
- It's like Oliver and Company, except brutal and live action.
- Will probably provoke an emotional response out of the majority of viewers.
- Dogs are dang well trained.
- Outside of the daughter, every human character is pretty easy to hate. This was probably intentional, but a movie where you hate everyone is still a movie where you hate everyone.
- Some of these scenes are brutal to watch, and I'm not a huge pet-person.
- I'm pretty sure this movie would be a lot less happy if it rolled for another ten minutes.
While certainly a fantastically put together art-style piece with a potent message that drills far deeper than simply "treat the pets good or the pets will murder you all in your sleep," I can't outright recommend this to a lot of people. Most pet-inclined folks will probably find it exceptionally hard to make it through to the end - particularly after things start to get real dark. That being said, it is really well put together to get as much across as it does when there's no comical pet-voices, no cartoon lightheartedness, and no real pulled punches. As a counterpoint to that - once was enough for me, and I don't expect to re-watch this in the foreseeable future, so if you do decide to tread it's waters, you may want to go with a rental first.